Jump to Navigation

Benefits Available to You

Caring for a Disabled Child: Paying Medical Bills

Children suffering from a birth injury may require extensive medical care, rehabilitative resources, special schooling and a host of other special services. Giving children this support is both emotionally and financially difficult on families. Thankfully, there are medical benefits and other financial resources available that can help families meet the demands of caring for a special needs child. These resources include Family Medical Leave (FMLA) that requires most employers to grant significant amounts of unpaid leave while you care for your child and that allows you to return to your job.

Learn about options for subsidizing health care and offsetting the costs of raising a child with a birth injury while providing a quality life for that child:

Medicaid Benefits

Medicaid is a state-administered program designed to help lower-income parents meet their family's health care needs. It also is available to children with disabilities under qualifying circumstances. Under Medicaid, a child is covered for medical and rehabilitative services, including medications, treatment programs and medical supplies. You should consider applying for Medicaid for your child if your income is low and your child has a qualifying disability. The eligibility requirements vary by state, so it is important to research your child's eligibility before applying.

Supplemental Security Income

As defined by the Social Security Administration, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal income supplement designed to help the disabled and other qualifying individuals meet basic needs. Your child may qualify if he or she has a severe mental or physical disability that significantly limits his or her abilities and is expected to last at least 12 months. Eligibility for SSI varies by state so check with your Social Security office for information specific to your state.

Public Grants

Several state and federal grants offer services and scholarships to children with special needs. These can include food stamps, children's health insurance programs and special education grants. These programs are funded by taxpayer dollars and private donations to promote the inclusion of children with disabilities.

Malpractice Compensation

If your child suffered a birth injury because of negligence or medical malpractice, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Financial compensation can provide the resources you need to pay for medical care, physical and occupational therapy, special education, medical supplies and other resources to care for your child with a birth injury.

The Birth Injury Team is a subsidiary of Silvers, Langsam & Weitzman, P.C., made up of experienced attorneys and medical professionals. Our lawyers have more than 100 years of combined experience handling birth injury cases. We are dedicated to helping parents understand their child's condition and guiding them through the process of securing the care and support they need. Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, we serve clients across the United States.


Located in Philadelphia, Silvers, Langsam & Weitzman, P.C., home of MyPhillyLawyer, serves clients in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, and throughout the United States.

En Español
SL&W | Silvers, Langsam & Weitzman | Attorneys At Law | Have Your Case Reviewed by our Legal and Medical Team Download Our Brochure | Coping with a Birth Injury

Ask Us a Question?

Contact us toll free at: 215-227-2727 or
contact us by using the free case review form below:

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy